View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 02:30 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,174 Posts

Personally, I would rethink that. When I value one of my cars for insurance purposes, it isn't necessarily what I could sell if for this week. After all, it isn't for sale. Well, I guess everything is "for sale" just not "on sale". The question I always come around to is: "what would I have to pay to replace it with something truly comparable?"

I love my low mileage 69 Z. It has very few mods from stock, but it isn't a survivor. Because I am not a pro, it is technically an amateur restoration; even if some of the work is better than a pro would have done. If I put it on ebay or BAT with no reserve, I honestly would not expect to get more than 60k for it. Could I replace it for that? No way. I have it insured for $75k, and frankly, I am not sure I could replace if for that.

Your car is sweet, even if it does not appeal to as broad an audience as a 69 Z. If you lost it, you MIGHT be able to replace if for $35k, but I bet it would take a couple years and a lot of your time and $$$$ to get it as nice as yours.

Besides, classic car insurance is pretty cheap. Double check the diff in premiums.

I would hate to see you crying in your beer because it was stolen and under insured.

Just my two cents. And you probably got exactly what you paid for this opinion.
markinnaples (09-30-2020), Nevadarick (09-19-2020)