Thread: 2014/2015 z/28
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2023, 12:09 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGrunt View Post
I will respectfully disagree with this statement. There is a definite valve guide issue on the LS7. It’s a ticking time bomb with the oem heads on it. Again, not sure if this problem exists with the later Z28s (very low production #s) but it is in fact a huge issue on 2006-13 Corvettes. My buddys C6 Z06 grenaded at 20k miles. My very early build 2006 pilot Z06 made it to 50k before grenading. It’s the luck of the draw.
I have read it was corrected in 09, but also have read otherwise. Regardless it works out to 2% of total LS7 motors built, or 98% of them are fine in unaltered form. I guess you could spend 4k and have the heads upgraded, certainly less that 20k for a new motor. Always seems like it's something, the oil pumps on the 18 LT4's in the ZL1, but i'll take these two over a Voodoo motors oil consumption and bang related failures. I had my Z and a GT350R at the same time and sold the R as i began having cold sweats as it got closer to the warranty timing out. Have never really given the valve issue on the Z a second thought, guess i could be whistling past the grave yard but like Julio stated you just don't see any mention of that on Camaro 5 with stock Z's and there are quite a few members with them on there.