View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: ZL1 #9 Barrett Jackson - Where's Waldo

I wasn't bashing George or the car at all it makes no difference to me how he sell's his car.

I was just giving my opinion on the description.. basically saying Id think twice about it. And yes a Lawyer would tear that description to shreds "IF" the buyer didnt know about the car when he purchased it. You can say buyer beware or what ever else you want but that doesn't mean anything when a car is knowingly misrepresented and that would be pretty easy to prove in this case going by the description on Barretts website.

Im sure George will be out with his car and answer any and all questions about it and even have a sign that says something out being rebodied but what is read on stage or whats in the catalog is what matters if something bad ever came of it. All the buyer has to say is I didnt see any sign by the car?? I was going by the description and what was told to me on the block. Your decription is what you sign your name to twice once on your window card and then again on your contract, thats what is binding not some board you put in front of your car.

Has anyone looked at a Barrett-Jackson contract in the last 2-3 years? You pretty much sign your life away with your description and the boxes you check now. Notice how far fewer cars say numbers matching now? Notice how alot descriptions have wording that would have normally been left out if years past? Most auction companys are really starting to try to look out for the buyers now. "CLEAR TRANSPARENCY" is the word they use I believe.

If you have a "REAL" SS car with no documentation they want to announce it as an UNDOCUMENTED car now.

If you have a High Performance Car (L78, LS6 etc..) with no documentation they want to announce if as an UNDOCUMENTED Option.

If you check NUMBERS MATCHING on the consignment form and it turns out its not.. you buy your car back and pay the buyers and sellers fees.

Barrett-Jackson has stepped up in the last few years and are trying to watch out for B.S. cars, sure alot still get through but what you write and sign on the description and contracts can definately come back to bite you. There have been a few deals un-done in the past few years.

If Barrett-Jackson or the Rep. George is dealing with knows the car is a rebody and they are fine with his wording of disclosure in the description I'd definately get something in writing from them. Id rather see the word re-bodied in the description and the fancy fluff wording on a board in front of the car.

I would say 75% of the cars sold at auction are sold based on the description with the buyer never talking to the owner and alot are impluse buys with buyers having no intention of buying a certain car before it came on the block or even looking at it before hand. Im sure its a little different when your talking hundreds of thousands of dollars but either way those are odds I wouldn't want to take.

I was just trying to potentially save George some grief down the road.. Next time I'll keep quiet.
The Following User Says Thank You to quick-bowtie For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (06-04-2021)