View Single Post
Old 01-16-2023, 12:33 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
The #1 concern in retirement is out living your money.

Even if you have a decent amount of retirement savings, a serious health problem prior to being on Medicare can wipe out much or all of it. I had both knees replaced after 65; the total was a bit over $200k. My out of pocket was $44 for a required visit to my PCP for a checkup. I have had two eye surgeries for a problem that came out of nowhere.

My cousin had a brain tumor that could fortunately be removed. Unfortunately, she was 62 at the time and the copay wiped out much of their savings. Her retired husband had to return to work.

Just got off the phone with a long-time friend [63] that is recovering from serious cancer. The costs to date are over $2m; his out of pocket was $150k. His monthly drug/treatment costs are over $20k, he is responsible for at least $8k. Every month.

A friends wife died of cancer 10 years ago, prior to retirement. He had to borrow $200k to cover the copays until her life insurance settled.

Health is wealth.

IMHO, there has been some really bad advice on this topic. Maybe never heard the Parable of the Boiling Frog. Look it up.

Based on what I have personally seen and experienced, I would cash out both cars NOW [probably $100k+] and not do the [$30k] addition. Take the $130k and invest it somewhere safe, not the stock market at this time. Still have the '67 Camaro and the Anglia to mess with. When you retire, the money will be there. The hobby will have moved on like it always has, '60s muscle cars will have faded into the past. Car collecting is largely generational.
Maybe I am missing something here. I live in Michigan and have a Blue Cross Insurance policy. Kept the "Gold Plan" for many years until now when we recently changed to "Bronze" mainly due to rising Premiums and Deductibles. Remember? "If you like your Plan / Doctors you can keep it"? Rough that the supposed premium savings never materialized....as if we didn't know that would happen. anyhow back to topic. These Insurance companies like us bet on the odds. In our case as with most plans we may have high deductibles we have to pay first before insurance kicks in but there are MAXIMUM OUT of POCKET expenses paid for both the Individual and a FAMILY MAXIMUM.
In our case we have a policy that has (2) adults and (1) 20yo son. the monthly premium is about $1100. This policy has a yearly maximum out of pocket expense of $9100 per person and $18,500 per family. After that all expenses (including drugs) are paid by insurance company. Just trying to understand what i am missing in these examples presented. They seem shocking. I am surprised that nobody else has commented on this post. Main take away is make sure you stay adequately insured throughout your life. The expense if high but the risk is higher. Please help me understand how these examples could have happened. In honesty it has me worried that I am missing something. Thank You.
The Following User Says Thank You to RamAirBirds For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (01-16-2023)