View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 01:46 PM

Thanked 3,404 Times in 1,244 Posts

To further elaborate on Coker's tread designs, moldings and sidewall lettering I will add:

The biggest issue I see with Coker is when they make tires under a "VINTAGE" brand name they appear to use whatever molds they can get their hands on rather than making the whole series like the originals would have been. Take the Pro Trac 60 series for example. The side wall lettering on the originals said RACING PROFILE ----- PRO TRAC 60 around the tire face. Besides the tread design and carcass being a completely different bias ply design, Coker also changed the lettering on the newer 275/60/15 to STREET PRO ----- PRO TRAC 60 and my best guess on the name change is maybe they didn't get the original mold and had to design their own 60 series tire to have one in a 60 series size?

-
Repro Design (left) versus Original Design (right)

The N50 series is much closer to the original design with the correct "dog bone" tread lock (below left) but they never did offer the repro version with the former raised white letter style (below right) which kinda misses the mark does it not? At least on the 50 they appeared to have used the original molds.

-

They also offer a 445/15 fatty they call the Pro Trac S/C 515 and while it bears the Pro Trac name, the tread pattern looks more like a BFG and is again completely different from the tread patterns of the original Pro Tracs. I guess it's all about slapping the words Pro Trac on a sidewall and calling it a vintage tire? Yuck!!!