Thread: trunk spatter
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 05:55 PM

Found this response in a thread from Lynn:

01-12-2013, 03:27 AM
Here is an old post from 2005, and how I contacted John Berlage.

My name is John Berlage. I own a Butternut yellow 69 Yenko, as well as a 69 maroon copo. I faced the same problem everyone else is experiencing when it comes to finding a good trunk paint. A couple of years ago i spent year and a half looking for a good source. I stumbled upon and OEM supplier that produced the paint for GM. During my restoration of my yenko, before sandblasting the trunk, I sprayed some of the new paint over the old. I could not tell a difference. The paint in my opinion is the best you can get. I would like everyone to keep in mind that each GM plant did have variation in texture and look. For anyone who is skeptical please email me at [email protected] for pictures of my yenkos trunk.

I would also like to note, since it has come up on this discussion, how you apply the product is critical to how the paint looks. During my search I also discovered that GM used a very specific gun to spray the paint.

They used a binks 2001 gun, with a 200 tip, a 66 fluid nozzle and a internal mix aircap.
George.

George:

The 2100 could be used with either a suction cup or a pressure pot.
Any idea which one they used?
I have an old Binks Model 7 (yeah, it dates me for sure) with three different air caps, but only a 36 fluid nozzle. According to the binks site, the "very heavy" fluids should use a 38 nozzle. I found a 38 fluid nozzle and a 38PM air cap, but no 38 needle.
Unfortunately, I don't know what the different Binks code numbers relate to as far as mm size of tips. The 7 can be used either siphon or pressure.

To make it worse, the 2100 uses a completely different set of code numbers. I think a 66 fluid nozzle for the 2100 is the same size as the 36 on the Model 7.
Any input from paint gun gurus is appreciated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roeville For This Useful Post:
ScottG (06-01-2019), Therocknss (05-31-2019)