Thread: Ignition.....
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 09:11 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban617 View Post
Isn’t the factory positive wire to the coil a resistor wire ? If so using a resistor would lower the voltage more ...
Yes......the factory distributor wire is a resistor wire which is about 8 volts.....I didn’t know that until yesterday.....lol. The Mallory coil needs anywhere from 6-9 volts.....so the 1.6 resistor was still within tolerance, I believe?

I HAD a Mallory Hyfire CDI box installed at one time. I eliminated it because I was trying to do a process of elimination to locate my issue. So actually, the CDI box was supposed to be getting 12 volts but was really only getting 8 volts.....through the factory resistor wire.

So when I was still having issues, I purchased the new Unilite distributor, I read that it needs a 1.6 ohm resistor.....which I installed. Technically, I didn’t need that as the factory wire was already at 8 volts.....but again, I didn’t know that. So when I bypassed the resistor wire and went directly from the battery to the coil....everything was in normal condition.

I will be reinstalling the Mallory Hyfire CDI box which will need 12 volts. So I ordered a new engine wire harness from America Auto Wire that will have the correct 12 volts to the CDI box. If I need to lower the volts, I can reinstall the resistor directly to the coil.

Kurt

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 69 Post Sedan For This Useful Post:
L_e_e (06-05-2019), napa68 (06-07-2019)