View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Whats Really Correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of weird stories. Supposedly a &quot;mini recall&quot; where customers could get the newer style if requested, but I have never seen any evidence of any such campaign by Chevrolet.

I know both were made, maybe even in the 69 model year. I have heard about GM discontinuing the four clamps style before the end of 69, and that just isn't so. Even late cars could have the for clamps. In fact, I have an FW wheel with its original trim ring and <span style="font-weight: bold">that</span> trim ring has the four clamps. There is a slight difference in the offset between the YH and FW wheel, so the FW trim ring is just about 1/10 of an inch deeper. FW wheels weren't even made until well into 1970, maybe even 71 (or at least for the 71 model year). So, the four clamps definitely were not just discontinued. Perhaps more than one source for GM, and the secondary source had the teeth style.</div></div>

Unfortunately the coverage of older recall campaigns, and voluntary actions in lieu of a recall is hit or miss. One site may say there are no recalls for 69 Camaro's, while one may list the 30 or so that effected Camaro's in 1969. I did a ton of research on this subject in the early 80's pre busy internet and Google by hitting the library. The &quot;recall&quot; that resulted in the redesign of the clips was a legal settlement in lieu of a full blown mandated federal safety recall. The suit was begun in 1966 or 67 and several federal cases were combined by the time the settlement was reached. I remember reading one account in a car mag from the early 70's of a wife whose husband was killed retrieving a ring on an interstate, another was a pedestrian who was hit by a ring traveling at 50 miles per hour and was crippled for life. The other was involved with a ring and wheel failure that caused a death. Some but not all of the failed rings were on Corvettes.

GM redesigned the rings with no real fanfare or marketing of the new safer clips and as inventory was replaced at the assembly plants the new rings slipped into production in early 1969. This explains why some cars made it out with all four old, or all four new, or mix and match of old and new some vehicles side by side in vin or days apart, and variance of which plant pushed out more newer rings at the same time the other was pushing out older. There is one posting that had a copy of the parts catalog that had dates listed by ring size. Someone had stated on one thread at TC or CRG that the supplies in general at the old style Chevrolet/Fisher Norwood plant were fatter than those at the GMAD plant in LA.

There was little to no contact with owners from corporate since it was not a full blown recall - just as today with most manufacturers caught in recalls if you were aware and asked you could get the parts replaced. If you don't know and ask, you most likely don't get yours replaced unless your service rep is an outstanding employee and holds service as a priority. While little if anything was done to reach out and inform owners the dealerships were either fully behind replacing rings or did not care. My local Chevrolet dealership - Grody - was a more aggressive participant and as vehicles came in for regular service, rings were switched out. I don't know if the dealership got points or cash back from corporate or not, but they did sell a ton of vettes. I do know the other dealership across the river in East Hartford did nothing proactive.

There are several threads at TC listing the original part numbers and the replacements by size. A copy of the 72 and 74 GM parts book also lists the change over and conversion of part numbers. As to design, like every GM service part as time went on the design of any given part may have been streamlined for generic use across several product lines, and across multiple divisions. The rings seemed to loose some of the unique edge details, hole size, and shape between those used on Camaro, Corvette, and Chevelle product lines.

I am not surprised that any GM vehicle with Rally Wheels came with old style suicide clips as late as 70-71.

Here are three of the many threads in recent years on the subject.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7467.0;all
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210426
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202234