View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Mike Dunn: Pres of IHRA

I can not remember when the track I worked at went IHRA. I think around 1999. It was after the Bader family bought it. It was more laid back and had its ties to Summit Racing as a points sponsor and contingencies to help with expenses. We did all the same things but with less problems. We started and developed the TCR class. My son ran it in a 1985 Monte Carlos SS I bought from the second owner for $1,400. He also ran my first 1969 Camaro. It was a reasonable way to get kids into racing. I am a racing fan now because of all the technology and work put into it. I do not agree with street racing but absolutely respect what those guys are doing and have chosen to go in a different direction as to how they want to race. Kids are the future of everything. The sport has to somehow figure out how to get there attention and keep it. I go in cycles. I go a few years and burn out. I sold my car and walked away. Now I bought another car and will eventually be back. I spent the day working on a Friday night bracket car. 489 inch 65 Nova. Makes 660hp on pump gas. turns 66 to 6800 through the traps. We have 3 years, 600 runs on the last rebuild. It is time to go over it well. The combo has over 1,000 runs on it and has only dropped a valve when it was 8 months old. I am an addict and cant get away from it. I love the science and the physics