View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 02:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 396 Camaro Points Issues

Hi Guys,
I'm having an issue with the points in my 1969 Camaro 396. Full disclosure the motor is not stock. It's a Day 2 street car. Unfortunately i don't know all the internal spec's of the motor ( bought the motor used/built). I've had the motor running in my car for 12 years and never had any issues. It's a 1969 Solid Lifter motor with a stock single point distributer. It does have a slight cam. The motor has always been bulletproof, and super reliable.
So my issues started last summer. Dropping a cylinder and then 2 cylinders. This has happened at least 3 times and last night happened again.
First time it happened I inspected the points and distributer cap. Points looked perfect but i noticed the underside of the distributer cap had 3 or 4 contacts chewed up. Bad bushings in the distributer i figured. My buddy happened to have a rebuilt stock one near by. I installed it along with stock GM points/condensor/cap. Car ran great for appox 300 miles. Then the same exact issues popped up again.
Next I replaced points/condensor from Accel. Along with a new coil. Also complete tune up wires spark plugs etc. Same thing ran great for a few hundred miles and same issues came up of dropping cylinders.
Next I installed another set of points/condensor and left the tach wire off the coil to see if it made any difference. It ran great for 3 hundred miles and bang same issues.
I should note, whenever I changed the points they looked brand new, zero physical issues spotted. I tried different spring tension points and still no difference. Of course I set up the points, timing, dwell each time i replaced them.
I am at a loss. Has anyone had this issue?? any suggestions? should i ditch the points and install an MSD or Mallory ??? I must admit I have always kept points in my cars for the last 40 years. I always liked them.
Again, this is not a 100 point restoration. It's a Hot Rod Day 2 car.

Many Thanks, ROB
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...