View Single Post
Old 06-13-2021, 10:44 PM

Wow, odd that points are giving you those kinds of issues. I'd sure like to hear what the cause for that is.

My experience with Pertronix has been hit and miss. I ran them in one of the Chevrolets and never had a lick of trouble. My Firebird however hated Pertronix. I had 3 Pertronix units in the car, each time they warranted the replacement so I can't say their customer service wasn't top notch, they stood behind it and told me what the issue was each time. Basically it would run fine as long as I stuck to back roads and slow speeds. But as soon as I hit the highway after about 10 minutes the car would completely shut down like I turned off the key. After a few minutes of what I assume was needed cool down time, the car would refire like nothing was wrong. I'd pull on out and sure enough 10 minutes of 70 mph and boom, car shuts down. At that point I took the nearest exit and took back roads home and the car ran fine at 35-45 mph speeds. Pertronix tested that unit and told me it had a circuit in it that was getting hot and shutting down to protect itself. They gave me a new one. Unfortunately the same scenario. After 3 times I finally said forget it and put points back in the car. Pertronix was great to deal with each time but let me tell you when you're buzzing along in the fast lane and the car shuts down, it's not fun, and extremely difficult to get over to the emergency lane. I had enough of that. I've had points in the bird for the last 20 years with no issues at all. I came to the conclusion that the distributor on the Pontiac is burried in the back behind and under the intake manifold and gets virtually no air flow at all. There's a lot of heat back there and I think the Pertronix just couldn't handle it. Ran fine in my Chevrolet where the distributor is up high and more exposed.

In the end though I've avoided the the little add on points replacement deals and just stick to points in the cars I want them in. Both of our daily drivers are still points ignition with their factory distributors, the Z and the Bird. I trust the points more than any wiz bang zapper setup. That being said, I do like triggering an MSD box with the points ignition. I think it's the best of both worlds, with bug zapper spark and the points simply become an on off switch with no strain on them, so they virtually last forever, Best part is if the box ever fails, I just have to swap a couple wires on the coil and drive away on points. Simple 2 minute road side repair.

For what it's worth though, I've never had to replace points in these cars as frequently as the internet leads you to believe. The set in the Bird is 20 years old, same set I put in when the Pertronix came out, and I've put about 100k miles on them. The points in the Nomad have been in there since 1985 when I last changed them, and the Z has the same set I put in 5 years ago when I put that car back on the road again and now 50k miles later still fine. So I rarely buy points. I just check them with the dwell meter once a year.

Only one car I use a complete billet MSD setup on with a fancy distributor and box, and that's been fine for 25 years but I also don't daily drive it.

Last edited by x33rs; 06-13-2021 at 10:47 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to x33rs For This Useful Post:
Billohio (06-14-2021), Jim69Z (06-13-2021), Rumbleguts396 (06-14-2021), Xplantdad (06-15-2021)