View Single Post
Old 02-01-2022, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Community Chevrolet Berwyn

Hello everyone, I am brand new to this forum. I found it doing a search for Community Chevrolet in Berwyn Illinois. I have an interesting car and story. I bought a 1965 Black El Camino in 1977 that was purchased new by Herron and Son Funeral home in Berwyn for use as a flower car! It was purchased from Community Chevrolet! I have the Protect-o-plate in the original owners manual with both names in it. I drove this car in the late ‘70’ s but replaced the 283 2 bbl and power glide. It went into my dads garage and sat until the late 80’s . At that time I was going to have the cracked and worn lacquer repainted. I had it stripped and prepped for paint and once again parked it while our 3 kids were young. In the mid 90’s I took the body off the frame and sand basted the bottom and frame and rebuilt all suspension, steering and brakes. Back in the garage again it sat until August of 2019. Since then I have finished restoring it. It now has a “close as I can get it” L79 and lots of factory and dealer options. I have driven it about 700 miles since completed. The car had about 48k on the odometer and is now around 57K but none of the original drive train is left. Of course it’s Tuxedo Black yet! I would love to hear from Community Chevrolet fans and find some memorabilia. An old funeral photo with this car in it would be amazing. Any 65 dealer items would be great. Russ

Last edited by Russelcamino; 02-01-2022 at 03:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russelcamino For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (02-02-2022)