Thread: Paint Crazing
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 05:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Paint Crazing

Diamond_Don: Any relation to Diamond Dave (David Lee Roth) of Van Halen fame? All kidding aside, your car is NICE, especially with a bench seat 4 speed trans., how cool is that! I'm the fourth owner of a low mileage 1971 Nova SS 350 car in black also with a bench seat 4 speed trans. It was repainted in 2000 as the original paint was severely crazed from storage in a non-climate controlled garage from 1977 to 2000. From your photos, IMHO it looks as if your lacquer paint is original (the absence of overspray in the engine compartment photo, as well as along the weatherstrip and chrome on the outside of the car) but the paint was checked and crazed from the elements (cold Canadian usage?). You can have the paint thickness checked out (NO pun intended!) by a paint thickness gauge. The 1970 Camaro used factory red oxide primer before factory paint, maybe the same for the Nova. I was second owner of a 1971 Monte Carlo in Antigua Green and it had severe crazing of the original paint as it was used for daily transportation of the original owner to work for seven years in Northeast Ohio weather before my purchase. My friend's 1971 Impala 4 door was the same color and was crazed also. Possibly bad paint composition. Good luck with your car-Don Martens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flying Undertaker For This Useful Post:
Diamond_Don (05-14-2018)