View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 01:12 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts

This is a very cool car. Although I own a '69 RS/SS 396 4 speed car, the '68 SS 396 has always been my favorite. I also love the color of yours, and the Cragar SS wheels and air shocks are very cool. Your Papaw has 2 of my favorite cars. I had a '67 SS 396 Chevelle when I was in high school and I love that car.

I've had experience with the Comp Cams Magnum 305 cam. I've piut them in a few big blocks and they are a bit on the radical side.

I don't know if you got the carburetor and timing fixed by now, but most of the time when someone brings their car to me and claims to have a carburetor problem it turns out to be an ignition timing problem. If you have not already done it try advancing the timing until the idle speed picks up. This is usually where you will get the best throttle response. With that cam you are going to need about 12 to 18 degrees of initial advance. Also, plug gaps with the HEI are .045. You need to find true TDC and install a timing tape on the balancer. Then find the total timing at around 3500 RPMs. It needs to be about 36 degrees. If it advances too much then you may run into detonation problems.

Have you checked the numbers on the heads yet? If you have the closed chamber rectangle port heads then you might need a little more timing.

You mentioned a burnout a while back. Although they are fun, I have seen several people destroy their cars while doing this. Be careful.

Last edited by big gear head; 06-26-2017 at 02:00 AM.