View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 07:40 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,952 Times in 1,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original69RS-SS View Post
After my last attempt, I've tried nothing, yet. I don't really know what I'm looking for and this old body struggles to crawl up the dash anymore. It's snowing, the garage is cramped and going down into the teens tonight. I just need a focused strategy for when I can get out there again. Now a have a couple of ideas. Thank you gentlemen. One more question, does frying coil wire suggest any damage elsewhere?…like under the dash or in the ignition switch harness?

Possibly, if the wire casing is bubbled back into the harness tape, it would require unwrapping it far enough back to find the end of the overheat. I doubt it will cause a loss of power with just the jacket meltdown and cool off. Copper wire can stand a LOT of heat and not melt. A soldered joint along the way...it takes very little heat to melt that stuff.
I HOPE you have/had a charger on the battery. If it is drained down to dead, it can freeze, not with temps in the teens, but it won't help it to leave that discharged in a subfreezing temp.
Other than making certain the battery is charged, yeah, wait for warmer weather. I don't know about other people, but for me, problem solving and repairs don't go well when my hands are frozen...
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles