View Single Post
Old 01-19-2022, 11:19 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,390 Posts

I drilled out the last 4 "visible" spot welds and my intuition that the floor wasn't going to just fall out came true. The floor is spot welded to the rear crossmember BEFORE installation under the rear gate pillars and there was 1 spot weld on each side hidden that I couldn't drill out. Not a biggie, I rolled the car up on it's side and proceeded to "convince" the spot weld to let go with the Steck knife.

I made another big hole.

This one will take a little longer to fill, as there is an other step to this. Imagineering a method of fitting wide wheel tubs in here...

I started that process by making a line 3" from the weld flange and cutting it out.

Clamped the wheel house in position and the cut out against it.

THIS is going to work out WAY better than trying to bend a weld flange on the pan later.

There is one teensy weensy problem. The tubs claimed they are 2 5/8" wider than stock, but I only gained 1.5" ??? Measuring the frame width and the floor, that will leave 1" of space per side for a tire on the table. Owner says' "not enough", so Monday I will cut a strip 2" wide to extend the tub further into the floor pan. Not a problem, we knew this was going to be a learning process as the guy at Real Deal Steel said this can't be done on a wagon/Nomad. I LOVE it when someone tells me that. My response is..... watch me...

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
big gear head (01-20-2022), dustinm (01-21-2022), NorCam (01-25-2022), olredalert (01-20-2022), Xplantdad (01-21-2022)