View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Default Hillbilly Racing Team: week in review

Last Thursday, the old man made a trip up to central Missouri to pick up a couple of "surprises" for my kids. We figured why tip-toe into something with a single car when 2 cars *has* to be twice the fun (and work! lol!!)...1 was an 8.90 car and the other was a 12.90 car. We have a local 1/8 mile asphalt go-kart track that we used to race at that sits unused now, so we loaded up the kids this week and took them out for some beginner lessons in drag racing. We pulled the fiberglass off of both cars, just in case something went "awry", and for easier access to the pedals and so we could watch their footwork. Anyway, here's the kids after an after school "test session" yesterday...

Then last Friday night, we loaded up the '10 Y-Camaro and the Deuce and headed over to Ozark International Raceway for a Test 'n' Tune...nothing too eventful with our cars, the Deuce ran some 10.80s after being on a strict 1/8 mile diet the last few weeks, and the '10 Camaro needs a little tuning. But here's where it gets neat...

A few weeks ago, the owner of a local tire shop lost his wife to a long battle with cancer, and while helping him with the services we got to know him a lot better. This gentleman is a Buick guy through and through, and is interested with anything that is automotive related...but he told us he'd never been on a drag strip before, but he's always wanted to. So, we naturally offered to show him the ropes, and told him about the T'n'T Friday night, but he didn't know if he could make it or not. Well, he, his youngest son, and a buddy of his jumped in his GN and surprised us while we we're unloading...they then put the GN through it's paces for the better part of the evening. Here is a picture of him and his very first time slip...

He and his boys and the rest of their family and friends have been through a lot lately, but hopefully their time at the track helped raise their spirits, if only for a little bit...I know *I* thoroughly enjoyed having them there.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 27342.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...