View Single Post
Old 07-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts
Default Big Gear Head's '69 RS SS396 Camaro

I've been a member for several years, but never did a thread on my car. I thought I'd post some pictures before I go to SCR20 so that you would know how it came to be what it is now.
The first picture is what it looked like when I got it in Feb '84 when I was 18. I traded a pretty nice '67 SS396 Chevelle for the Camaro. The Chevelle had a Powerglide and the Camaro was a 4 speed. I don't like automatic transmissions, so I traded because of the transmission. The car had Z28 badges on it and a 350 from a truck. It took me a while to figure out that it was actually a SS396 car.
This was an original X22 RS SS396 4 speed car. It was huger orange with black top and black hockey stick stripes. The interior was black deluxe with the full gauge package. It was probably a 325HP 396, but the engine was long gone. The transmission was the M20. The rear end was a 3.73 12 bolt with the Eaton Posi.
The second picture is the beginning of the build that took 18 years before I got to drive the car again. I was probably 19 years old at this time, was working as a mechanic at Lester Ford, and was still living with my parents.
The next picture is the frame that I built at the age of 19. I had quit my job and was going to vocational school to be a welder. Most of the frame was built at school. This was the very first of many rear ends that I narrowed.
The car sat for many years due to a serious lack of money. After getting married, getting a real job as a DOD aircraft certified TIG welder at GE Aircraft Engines and buying a house and building a garage I was able to start on the car again. The reason that I decided to go Pro Street was because the car was full of rust and some after market parts were not yet available to fix it. This last picture shows the entire back end of the car removed.
Attached Images

Last edited by big gear head; 07-04-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry Untitled-9.JPG Untitled-8.JPG Untitled-6.JPG Untitled-5.JPG
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...