View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 11:59 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew43a View Post
hello i am new to this site and doing research on Vintage dealer tags.
i have 4 vintage dealer tags ranging from 1967 to 1974. Can anyone help in identifying the dealer name for my plates? I called the Ohio BMV and they said the purge all info after 7 years. Mine are all ohio dealer tages with a dealer number and a tag number and year. am i in the right place? Can anyone help? thanks andy
I'm guessing there is not a way to do what you are trying to do, without the DMV records, since the plates were not created for a specific dealer (unlike the literature which is the subject of this thread).

The leading digit might indicate a region, perhaps by county (like the standard Ohio plates*). If you can find an original plate still in the paper wrapper there might be a legend printed on it to help you decode, to narrow your search. I have seen this on some of the Michigan Dealer plates in my collection. Mine where handed down directly so I know the dealer (and salesperson) for the plates in my possession.

K

*My college roommate worked for New Departure Hyatt in Sandusky and had access to GM company owned vehicles. He was driving a company car one time with an Ohio manufacturer plate, which was stamped "Special" in the location where the county information normally appears.

A woman stopped him while he was putting gas in it, and she said: "...ya know, I've lived in Ohio my whole life, and I don't know where 'Special' county is...."
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-23-2020 at 05:03 PM.