View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 05:25 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

It's the luck of the draw with dealer mechanic's....... LOL.....Back in 98 when I bought my first and last Corvette here's what happened..... Ordered the car and put down the deposit and told the salesman to time out placing the order so the car would come in around the beginning of April as I didn't have room in the garage over the winter..... He calls me on Dec 18th and said my car was in....LOL....I move things around and drive the car home.... Next day as the garage door is coming down I notice there oil all over the floor under the differential....... Call the dealer and tell them the car has a problem.... They say bring it back.....the car was there two weeks and they call and tell me that there was a porosity problem with some of the aluminum housings and the rep told them to clean the housing and put a coating of Epoxy over the unit to seal it up..... I told them it's a brand new car and you are going to fix it like that..... They said that's what the factory told them to do.....O.K..... Go with the flow...... They did it and called and said to come pick up the car......next day looking under the car the puddle of oil was back....... Took it back again and after a couple of weeks they called and told me the GM rep gave them permission to change out the transaxle..... Finally.....When I pick up the car three weeks later I noticed both quarter panels were all scratched up from the mechanic pulling the air line down from above so he could use his Air tools.....About lost it.....So, they kept the car another week to buff out the quarters........Picked the car up and the next morning I look and Oil again all over the floor....At this point the only miles on the car were back and forth to the dealer.......I take it back again and lets just say we had a heated discussion and I told them not to call me to pick it up until the car sits for a while and didn't leak any oil.......So.... three weeks later I get a call that the car was finished.... Brought it home and the leak was gone.... By the way it is now mid April..... LOL..... So a couple of months later I was at a car show and a mechanic friend of mine who works at the dealership asked me if they ever told me what the issue was..... I said no but it's fixed now.......He never worked on my car but after the last time I brought it back it was still leaking and nobody could figure it out, so it was out of his area but he walked over to look at it and noticed the axle grease seals were in Backwards... The guy that had been working on it all the time said how do you know that.... He said look at it...ended up it came from the factory with the seals installed incorrectly.... and when this guy installed the new trans axle assy he installed the seals the same way as they were in the unit he replaced...... LOL....Switched the seals around and never leaked again.....Like I said.... Luck of the draw.......Never again

The Best things in life......Aren't Things

Last edited by kwhizz; 02-07-2021 at 05:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwhizz For This Useful Post:
427TJ (02-18-2021)