View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 04:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I don't know what year GM started using base / clear. I know my 73 BMW came from the factory base / clear, but that was a few years before GM started using it.

GM started using Base/clear first on '82 Corvettes that were tu-toned, it was an enamel clearcoat.

Then Corvettes from '84 up all metallic colors used base/clear, some solid colors were still single stage.

GM Trucks have always used enamels weather solid or metallic.

The last known lacquers were in 1990 on the B-body line.

Asian and European produced vehicles first started base/clear in '72 on metallic colors only, once again enamels.

Back in the 90's into early 2000's we subcontracted for GM upgrading vehicles bound for the press and media, primarily ensuring the quality of the finish and color uniformity was above and beyond what the assembly line was producing for the general public.
This entailed color sanding and buffing, all the way to complete refinishing of the exterior (complete disassembly of trim, glass, etc.) and some times door jambs. GM wanted to give the press and media exceptional cars to write and review about. I would have anywhere from 3 to 7 vehicles at a time, these were then provided to P&M all over the country.
PeteLeathersac (06-29-2019)