View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 01:12 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I'm not overplaying this. Mine IS that bad, complete with hairs in the paint and handprints in the hood and decklid. Not to mention the passenger door rubs on the fender when you open it.

All perfectly preserved for our viewing pleasure.

K
Keith,

You are right and the real data shows the quality. These two graphs are in Echoes of Norwood at page 130 and show first generation "F" car quality as both an audit result showing specific demerits as well as the running average of combined paint and metal discrepancies during the 1969 model year. With this said, a original car will respond well to a buff and polish, however the blood metrics show things as they were.

To quote a paint superintendent during the walk around at MCACN in 2017

"None of these cars look anything like what we built- pick the worst car here with the worst paint and you have what we rolled off the line on a normal day".

As an aside the Norwood workers had little to no interaction with any of the perfectly restored cars or the owners while we were there. These were the mirrored and wheel off display cars. When they approached these cars the owners typically did not speak to the Norwood workers which they thought was a bit strange.

To a man the Norwood workers agreed these cars were perfectly restored and were so good they were also very over restored.

Final line guy summed it up best: "Hey who wants to have us look at a car like that- I mean it is so well done, and if they ask me how well they did the car and how authentic it is well gee who wants to hear that the axle should be scratched from the pedestals on the final line, or frames should be scratched from the production process, bad paint,trim fit, and so on" these guys have a lot of money invested here".
Attached Images