View Single Post
Old 03-03-2020, 06:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Not to hi-jack my own thread with a tangent on paint...
After painting the corvette in 5 weeks last year including color sendouts with NCRS national paint judges etc - I did a bunch of paint research regarding GM lacquer application with regard to application texture (corvettes cannot be reflowed in a baking oven) this results in them being quite a bit rougher overall especially below the belt line when compared to an original metal car.

Tangent #2
Firemist paints were a cadillac color line which was manufactured by a company out of New Jersey utilizing a fine borosilicate glass flake which was more like a pearl in that it did not reflect using aluminum flakes it lumineses, allows color refraction and diffusion of light in the same color, pearls previously were natural ground mica or ground pearl. Whereas firemist were a precise manufactured product which was uniform and repeatable, BASF currently owns the company (patents trademarks) and manufactures the borosilicate flake. if I did another Ontario Orange, Warbonnet Yellow, or Steel Cities Grey car I would AT minimum get the REAL STUFF and do some spray outs.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos