View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 11:46 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts

Here’s a few things to think about on the subject;

Does it stink? Yep. But as others have said, it’s definitely not expected, I’m afraid. Parent company was bankrupt, they reorganize and what do they do? Stop the bleeding. It’s a fact that periodicals in general, regardless of the denomination, are doomed. It’s just the wave of the future. As generations change and technology moves forward, you move off the past to capture new markets and be profitable. Do you embrace the future? That’s for you to decide.

I still do crosswords from the newspaper and yet when I look around at the people next to me when I’m sitting in seat 132Q, all I see is phones, pads, kindles, nooks, whatever have you, being typed on and stared at. As I walk to the back to fax something to the Chief Pilot via the lavatory blue juice courtesy of the $18 “Yokohama Beef Bowl” I purchased a few minutes earlier, I may see one or two of my fellow mammals enjoying the printed versions of these electronic glass machines. But is it all bad? Is it really that much of a problem to embrace newer technology that still contains the articles we enjoy so much? Or is it just change and we “frump bah-humbug!” just because we don’t know how to use it? Add to this my comment about a fax. Welcome to email!

Remember Model As? They were cool when new. No more heading to the Dentist to get your remaining tooth pulled due to inept dental hygiene products while your horse took a dump on you right before you get to your appointment. No, no....you were stylin’ now!! Semi enclosed glass cockpit, 22 mph, a hydraulic brake (read, one brake), and a steering wheel with everything on it but a turn signal. Think that guy was complaining about how this new fangled technology confused him and he missed the aroma of various gases emitted from the business end of old Thunder? Possibly. Fast forward just thirty years from that and you were headed to the dentist for just a scheduled cleaning with a mouth full of healthy teeth in a car that was floating on four cushy air filled tires, 4 wheel power brakes, and a host of other options only thought available to you in Sci-Fi movies. Was that guy too missing his distributor dwell on his steering wheel to play with?

I don’t like the online mags either, to be honest. Especially pop up ads and all that. But it sure is handy to search stuff, keep it readily available to find at just a type of a word instead of “Oh, Geeze, where was that article about that engine build they were doing in 1989?? I think that was by Gummy Joe, or was it Jahoozifats? I can’t remember right now. Was that in the box in the attic, closet, garage...crap!!!

It’s the future and the more of us that say “Forget it! I won’t buy that subscription online! That’ll show ‘em!” could result in our voices from our hobby genre dwindling and even the online stuff scaling back. Maybe try a subscription for a year and give it a go. As me pappy always told me, “Daveyboy, yer a real schmuck, but you sure can whirlie a good read to make ye’ think. Now Gimmie that belt!”

Cheers

Super Davey
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
L72COPO (12-08-2019), scuncio (12-07-2019)