View Single Post
Old 12-20-2021, 10:53 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danachevroletfor1967 View Post
I wanted to post this and get some feedback from you guys. Is there an easy way to check if a battery is being drained even with nothing in the car on? I bought a new battery (AC Delco) from my local dealership in June, 2020. Last Dec., 2020, I asked them to check the battery as my car wouldn't start right away and gave all indications of a weak battery. They said I didn't drive the car enough to keep the battery charged. I have previously let the car sit for up to 2 weeks between drives with no problems.
I checked the battery with a tester and it showed low, 5 volts, after sitting for a week. It finally started the car after 3 tries. The alternator checks out fine. After driving for 20-30 minutes and shutting the engine off the battery shows 12.5 volts. If I let the car sit for 2-3 days and try to start it I get the same slow response time.
I'm guessing either something is now draining the battery that didn't before while the car is sitting in the garage or this new (from June, 2020) battery is a dud and can't hold a charge. What do you guys think?
Here is the first place to start:

Disconnect the positive cable and connect a standard 12volt test light in between the cable
bolt / end and the battery lug. If it lights up with everything off, there is a draw in the system. the brighter the bulb on the test light the higher the amp draw is. If the test light does light up, pull fuses one at a time to find which circuit the draw is in. If the light still lights up with all fuse pulled, disconnect the wiring to the alternator and then the starter. See how that works before you blame the battery. What brand / manufacture battery is it? I have changed brands of batteries in my shop 3 times in the last 5 years. Currently I am selling Napa Batteries manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing little to no problems. I threw both AC Delco and Interstate out. Let us know how you make out, good luck.

Bill
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Block Bill For This Useful Post:
Billohio (12-22-2021), L_e_e (12-20-2021)