Thread: Sun Super Tach
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 12:03 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Bringing back an old post.

I have the same question basically as the OP. Not sure if I should start another post for the same question the OP had or piggy-back off this one.

I have a SUN SST 802-2 coming in soon. I have read a lot online today, and have a few questions for someone that knows about these.

1. I see SST 802 and an SST 802-2.

Is there some differences in these two, or is it possibly a cosmetic change? The one I had in the mid 70's had the white tach needle with RED/orange pointer and all white lettering at 6 o'clock like my pic with the knob in center of glass.<---- I have this one coming in.

Then there is the one with the red tach needle, red pointer, and red R.P.M. at the 6 o'clock position with the rest being all white lettering. These both seem to be wired the exact same way other than the differences I noted.

2. Anyone here ever replace the glass and how easy or hard was it to do?

Been looking for info on this as well. The seller that has the replacement glass, shown in pic, actually has a writeup describing how to replace the glass. Not sure if I want to tackle this or farm it out.

3. I came across an older post asking about wiring it up and it stated 'see diagram', but there was no diagram. Looks simple enough to wire up, but I am curious what's on the instruction diagram if there is one to copy.

4. What gauge wiring should be used? I've seen some wire jobs with little telephone thin wires. What would be considered overkill with wire gauge? 16, 18, 20 gauge?

Thanks for the help and info.
Attached Images

Last edited by GaryC; 03-05-2024 at 12:08 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaryC For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (04-21-2024), ragtop (03-05-2024)