View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 11:28 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Lee:
First off, I don't know that I disagree with any fact you have stated. Secondly, I did not say anything about mortality rates related to COVID-19. And you are correct, I specifically stated that I was only going to mention ONE (in all caps) comparison; and that one is miniscule. I figured the post was long enough without trying to list EVERYTHING we trade for human life and health. There is no direct comparison. I was siimply stating that as a society, we make trade offs for human life and health every day. We just don't THINK about it every day. And we don't want to discuss it, because we don't want to feel that cold. I fully agree with you about cigarettes; but that is a whole other debate for another time.

I am just saying we need to balance things. Let's say you are correct, and we are only 1/20th into this, with nothing to look forward to for another 19 months (apologize if you had a different period of time targeted for your 50 mile mark... but I really don't know) but more of shutting everything down until the whole country is on lock down. Personally, I believe 19 months of lockdown will create more havoc than the havoc it prevented.

I don't have a crystal ball. Is Phil correct when he says it all blows over in 60 days? I don't know. Are you correct in stating we are only 1/20th of the way through? I don't know. You guys both have a right to your opinions. I hope and pray Phil is closer to the mark than you. Just because I WANT it to work out that way doesn't mean it will.
Lynn
When I read your posts I hear a view that has less panic and hysteria in it. We need more of this at every level. The more we use statistics as a weapon to create panic and major uncertainty that is a failure to properly communicate. I do believe in reality to the degree it doesn’t lead to speculation or a stretching of reality. It is clear around the country that we are starting to compete against each other instead of working together by using different forms of data on both sides.
I believe It starts with each of us having a conversation that lends itself toward the future while being realistic as to where we are at and provide reasonable solutions which by the way won’t make EVERYOne happy. We need to think about the majority however harsh that sounds.
I received a panic text today that the number of cases has doubled. I told this person well that makes sense because we are testing more, right? Should I see it that way or sound the alarm there are more reported cases?There will be more cases.

I heard today that next week will be bad for the economy because there will be more people filing for unemployment at record levels. For me that makes sense because business are shut down for others this adds to the panic and hysteria . So what should WE do? Where is the balance?