View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 11:36 PM

Thanked 136,490 Times in 22,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Lee:
First off, I don't know that I disagree with any fact you have stated. Secondly, I did not say anything about mortality rates related to COVID-19. And you are correct, I specifically stated that I was only going to mention ONE (in all caps) comparison; and that one is miniscule. I figured the post was long enough without trying to list EVERYTHING we trade for human life and health. There is no direct comparison. I was siimply stating that as a society, we make trade offs for human life and health every day. We just don't THINK about it every day. And we don't want to discuss it, because we don't want to feel that cold. I fully agree with you about cigarettes; but that is a whole other debate for another time.
I choose to get in my car or light up a cigarette. It's my choice alone. I have to accept the responsibility that I might be doing something risky both to my health and my life. Now let's expand that . . . I just walked out of a bar having had 6 hard liquor drinks (BTW - I don't drink at all). I am legally drunk. I tell myself I am OK to drive home. This is a direct comparison to the CV19 pandemic lockdown. I am acting irresponsible. I am not caring about anyone else but me. What I should do (call a taxi or friend) and what I am going to do (drive legally drunk) are two different things. It's as obvious as the nose on our faces which is the right decision.

Quote:
I am just saying we need to balance things. Let's say you are correct, and we are only 1/20th into this, with nothing to look forward to for another 19 months (apologize if you had a different period of time targeted for your 50 mile mark... but I really don't know) but more of shutting everything down until the whole country is on lock down. Personally, I believe 19 months of lockdown will create more havoc than the havoc it prevented.
We are just getting started on our 1000 mile trip. We are still in first gear. We are crawling along because we can't get enough people tested. The more people that get tested the faster we can shift in to 2nd, 3rd, 4th 5th and 6th. What is scaring everyone and I mean everyone . . . the CDC, WHO, the president, the public, the stock market . . . is the unknown. There are so many things about CV19 that we don't know.

The experts tell us we have no antivirals nor vaccine for CV19. The only way we can stop it is self quarantine. Some people have it and they don't even realize it because they are young and healthy. I am terrified to go out of my home into a public place. I am almost 69 and I have Lymphoma. If I get CV19 I am dead. No question about that.

Quote:
I don't have a crystal ball. Is Phil correct when he says it all blows over in 60 days? I don't know. Are you correct in stating we are only 1/20th of the way through? I don't know. You guys both have a right to your opinions. I hope and pray Phil is closer to the mark than you. Just because I WANT it to work out that way doesn't mean it will.
I think we are both right. In 60 days we will know pretty much everything there is to know about CV19. This is not a USA problem. This is a WORLD problem. There are literally millions of the best people in medical science working on getting us answers so we know what to do, what we can use to treat CV19 until we get a vaccine which takes 12 months at the earliest.

If the news or the internet is upsetting then shut them off. Go do something else. Like Steve did - go for a ride in your car. Do SOMETHING that you enjoy and will make you happy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
Tabu (03-20-2020)