View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 12:23 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts

I have great respect for John Hinckley and appreciate his expirementing with different valve lash settings. However, official GM documents as late as 1988 (the last "Chevrolet Power" manual I have) still state .024 .030. To my knowledge there has been no official document from Chevrolet recommending anything else.

I definitely agree that you MUST make the adjustments on either the LT-1 cam or the 30 30 cam with the lifter on the base circle. However, there is no magic number for valvle lash. I have run many 30 30 cams at .030 and never had an issue with exhaust valve seats or over heated valves. In fact, tightening the valve lash would actually make the exhaust valve sit on the seat (where it cools) a little less, as the effective duration is increased, not decreased.

The article also says that there is little or no difference (I think they use the term "negligible" between the lash hot and cold. I disagree. I actually set mine cold, ran the engine hard and re-checked. Every one was between one and two thousands tighter hot. Metal exands when it gets hot.

This is all academic anyway. The actual lash you set does not have to be that precise on either of those cams. Guys have experimented for years with different valve lash. You can definitely run tighter than .024 .030 and do no harm to your engine.

If you run your LT-1 camshaft at .024 .030, it will run fine. There is no reason you can't run it a bit tighter. James prefers running his at .016 and .023, and has had good results. Theoretically, his engine should have just a bit more lope at idle than my LT-1 set at .024 .030.
Personally, I would be comfortable running mine anywhere between .016 .023 and .024 .030. Just make certain they all match.

Last edited by Lynn; 03-22-2019 at 03:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
earntaz (03-22-2019)