View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I worked at Harley in Parts & Accessories, Supply Chain, 2012-2015. Easily, the best working experience I had in 44 years.

The problems they are having have little to do with leadership and everything to do with the rapidly shrinking motorcycle customer pie. Had Matt not made the move into electric bikes, that would be touted as a reason for the decline. Previous leadership got them into 500 & 750 cc bikes built in India. Those haven't done much either.

They are smart and sophisticated at marketing their products; chased every market segment there was. Try as they might, the bulk of their customer base has remained aging baby boomers that could afford the product. That group is aging out, selling their bikes and moving on. When I was there, the #1 competitor for a new Harley was a gently used Harley. Supply has exceeded demand.

Next time you are at a car show, take a look around. Do not ask for whom the bell tolls.
They've been sinking themselves for years by their prices. I've built three Harleys and ridden plenty of other bikes over the years. When a buddy killed himself back in 06 I bought a brand new 07 Hayabusa to ride in his memorial ride to say f'u to him for doing it. I paid less than $10k brand new for the worlds fastest straight line production bike. I rode it for 15k miles and enjoyed every minute of it. Harley wants to charge double and triple that for old technology. No thanks. That's why used is their number one competitor. I still love a lot of things Harley, but my last one had the points cover that said "HD" put on upside down. My silent protest lol... My next Street Glide will either be used or built by me if for no other reason than principle.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66