View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 03:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,173 Posts
Default Choosing a compressor.

Well, I had a line on a giant Quincy commercial (way overkill for my needs) air compressor with a brand new Baldor motor and built in drier. Like I said, overkill, but it was really cheap. But, since it took the local power company 8 months to approve my request for 400 amp service with 3 phase, it doesn't look like it is available. I didn't want to pull the trigger until I was 100% I would have the service to support it.
I tried contacting the seller, bu there is now no service to the only contact number I had.

So, looks like I will be shopping for a compressor.

MOST of the time will just need for light use. I have a five hp Speedaire in my garage (up at the house, not in my shop) that would work fine. HOWEVER, I will be using a cabinet sand blaster, AND will likely ad a vapor blaster as well. Not likely going to run both at the same time, but certainly could happen, especially when my grandsons get a little older. They love helping.
I have plenty of room on the "warehouse" side of my workshop to add a spray booth, and may do that. Obviously the need for air increases. Also, I will pipe air to the other end of the warehouse, where we are building a wood work shop for my son and his wife.

The giant X factor is this: I have a huge open outside area to the West of my shop where I could blast a car frame from time to time. So, I am thinking I want at least 10 hp.

Needs:
3 phase
120 gallon tank
Also want a drier and auto drain.

I am fine buying used, if I find the right deal.

If you are sharing pics and descriptions of your compressor, please give me model numbers and specs.

Suggestions?

BTW, I promise I will be posting updates on my shop soon. It is just that I am working so hard on 3 fronts right now, I simply don't have time to document the progress. But, getting close.