View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 08:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinor View Post
I'm certainly not defending anything or anyone here. I stand by my statement "Until some auction house steps up and offers a guarantee of the description, it will never get any better."

Having served as an automotive expert for Barrett-Jackson in the past I can assure you many descriptions have been changed, some cars have been removed from the sale and some have even been impounded by the authorities. So I might disagree with your claim. It's also pretty hard to review 170 plus cars in your area of expertise within a few days which is often all you have. I actually had cars show up for the first time in the staging lane and changed the description on the car when it was literally one car away. It's not as easy as hind site makes it sound.
I hear ya Roy, and I'm not in total disagreement with you. I'm friends with one of the experts and I've heard some horror stories. My point was/is that the cars that are inspected and deemed "illegitimate" aren't announced as clones/fake/tribute, or whatever the latest term is when they are offered (the majority of the time). I've heard the word "undocumented" thrown around lately, and in my opinion, that is nothing more than a build that was intended to deceive. IF a car is "genuinely undocumented" there would/could/should be enough tell-tale signs for an expert of the marque to determine the veracity of said vehicle. The fake P-O-P is nothing new. Many years ago I bought a CE 512 block for an LS-6 from a fellow (no names) that had a P-O-P machine in his dining room complete with original GM tape and blanks. This was back in the mid '90s, so like I said, faking docs isn't new. At that time, the going rate for a "Genuine GM" P-O-P was $275. Technically, they WERE Genuine GM, they just weren't ORIGINAL. The whole thing STINKS if you ask me.