View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixt9rsx33 View Post
I have bought 5 cars sight unseen, but worked the seller over fairly well with pictures in specific places. If the seller did not photograph what I wanted and pushed back on my request I did not proceed. One exception, this seller on a 69 RS/SS Camaro Convertible traveled a lot per him and did not get me the pics I wanted. So I traveled to see the car. Within 10 minutes I seeing the car I walked. The car had filler everywhere and the top would not go down. The best option is to go see the car...for sure. Second as one mentioned earlier. Have a trusted set of eyes look it over.
Regarding payment, I like to have the seller overnight me the title, POP, build sheet or something of value after I send him a deposit. You are at risk if you send a deposit, but at least you are not out a large sum if you just give a deposit. Try to limit the deposit to as little as possible. Try to get something from the seller that is meaningful in case the deal goes sideways. That is my strategy.
I would never release a title without having received full payment. If the purchaser doesn't want to travel to inspect the vehicle, that's his prerogative, but at that point it's on him to take the risk, not me.

I've done a ton of transactions both ways and have never had a problem. As mentioned, wire transfer with documentation of what the transfer is for, I believe, is the best way.