View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 12:52 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Success! She started and ran today. Once there was fuel up to the carb, she started right up.

Still up on the jackstands. I installed the Y-pipe without mufflers and she sounds like a monster truck (Didn't BigFoot have a 460 in it originally?).

I had a minor scare when I partially burnt the wiring harness ground by the voltage regulator due to one of the alternator leads being hooked to positive terminal on the back of the alternator instead of ground. Ugh! Should have reviewed my own photos better.

I also had to replace the leaking joint in the trans cooler line where a prior mechanic used a compression fitting to join two sections instead of correctly flaring the ends and using the correct flared adapter fitting. Luckily NAPA had the fitting in stock this time.

Drained the oil and the magnetic drain plug was totally clean. Refilled it with 5 quarts of 10W30 Pennzoil. The transmission shifts nicely and doesn't leak.

Tomorrow I will unwrap and fix the burnt harness wire. I will also pull out the rear seat to replace the center seat belt bolts with a couple of longer bolts that can pass through the rear bulkhead about an inch more, so they can be used for dual exhaust hanger mounting points. (I hate it when muffler shops just crank in a couple of monster-sized sheet metal screws into your floor to mount the mufflers from -Not gonna happen here).