View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 10:57 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts

Time to start putting some of these new parts on this buggy! First up was the clutch. Brewer's supplied all my missing parts and Wayne is a great guy to deal with. Let's get that clutch installed!

So Wayne provided me with a roller bearing for the input shaft of the transmission. That came with an instruction sheet. Seriously? Pppffllppp... I've installed about eleventy some clutches.... what's different about this one? Well, lemme read it (paper crinkle sound) "All input shafts on Mopars may vary in length. To verify the roller bearing will not conflict with the non-tapered area A and B on the diagram, bolt the bellousing to the block and measure from the base of the [what the hell are they talking about? ] recess in the crankshaft to the bolt face of the transmission. Measure the distance between C and D on the diagram, subtract the distance from A and B [what's the bolt face of a transmission?] and solve for distance X. If that train left Chicago at 5:00pm traveling at 45mph, then that calculation must be less then first distance, A, that was measured from the train that left Sacremento at 6:42pm"

Ok, so after four stabs of the transmission into the engine, I realized what that all meant. It basically said that the trains collide in Sasparilla, CO.

Now, this just being a driver, I didn't go crazy with the detailing/ cleaning and such that I would if I was getting ready for a MCACN unveiling. But, never the less, I can't fight the factory marking bug!

And for the Mopar guys that removed their speedo gear to swap it out for another, then reinstalled it only to find it not working, this may be why! There are a few different notches for different speedo gears depending on the teeth. There's a corresponding single notch on the transmission case. You see where your tooth range falls and line it up to the corresponding notch on the trans! If you just installed a new gear and it's not working, check the notch. It might be too far away from the drive gear. My gear is correct for F70x14 tires with a 3.23 gear.

Cheers
Super Dave
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
big gear head (10-23-2019), markinnaples (10-23-2019), NorCam (11-27-2019)