View Single Post
Old 12-06-2001, 03:10 PM

Default Re: December feature car ...... COPO PETE's Nova

Well, here's what we've got.

First off, we have letters to and from Walt Mentzner of the NAAR (National Association Automobile Racing), concerning classifying the Deuce for their races. This was around April-May of 1971. In the NAAR, the Deuce was classified as "F/Stock".

We also have a page of hand written notes (looks like Don's writing) with specs relating to the Deuce's engine (just as carb #, valve diameters, head numbers, cam changes, etc.), along Chevrolet shipping weight (3,098) and how much "jobber net" on each car ($58.41). At the top of this page, it has (NHRA Superstock) written, then Walt Mentzner and his phone number written below that [Note: Mentzner was with the NAAR, as stated above]. Directly below that is written F Stock - Mustangs - 11.6. Then, the rest of the page contains notes about the car/engine.

Then, we have a copy of a letter to Wally Parks and the NHRA urging him to classify the Deuce (a copy was also sent to Vince Piggins). This was also around April of '71.

I even checked the NHRA website which has all the classifications for the cars (or at least I assume it's all of them) and the highest horsepower Nova they have listed is the 350/300hp model.

So far I haven't found anything FROM the NHRA back to Don confirming a classification for the Deuce. But, I'm still looking!

[Edited by Chevy454 (12-06-2001 at 10:10 AM).]