View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,027 Times in 513 Posts
Default Re: 1969 Yenko Camaro Hugger Orange 4 speed Cash Buyer

I'm not sure how much money the friend is laying on the table, but I don't believe that anyone willing to put six figures or more on the table for any Camaro short of an honest ZL1 is actually insulting anybody.

Little more than 5 years ago, $150K bought you pretty much whatever Yenko Camaro you might want. Prices are basically set by desire and available money, correct? While I agree that Yenko Camaro "awareness" is at an all time high, both inside and outside the hobby, it has to be acknowledged that there isn't as much money out there, either to borrow, pulled out of 401K or equity, hidden under mattresses or stacked in the wall safe. A whole bunch of "money" has vanished, at least on paper for the forseeable future. So you're arguing that increased DEMAND alone is going to support the current market, no matter how much the capital dries up.
Not to belabor the point, but unlike the waterfront houses that Rich prefers to use in his analogies, none of us can house our families in our cars. They're toys. Big wonderful toys with deep history and cultural significance, sure, but toys nonetheless. I don't believe anyone is immune from this economy's ills. Even many who are secure will have other pressures. Extended families or children who will need help making house payments or capital to start up new businesses, etc.
My point here isn't to rain on everyone's parade. I don't wish for any of you to "lose" the value of your cars. But then again, I didn't wish for my view property or kids college funds to lose value either. But here we are.
If Rich has callers aggressively trolling for hardship deals so that they can make a quick buck, fine, hit them with some derision. But if you have someone politely offering six figures for a certain type of car, there is no shame in that. Thank them for their offer. File their number away or throw it in the garbage, roll your eyes and curse them under your breath. Whatever. Just don't try to insinuate what fools or jerks they are. I'm not buying it.

Respectfully,
TOM