View Single Post
Old 11-25-2021, 01:30 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,401 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Do you drill an 1/8" hole in the thermostat to help air travel to the highest place ? I, also, have an Air Lift tool to put the entire system in a vacuum and that then pulls the coolant in. Leaving the system under vacuum for an hour will reveal if there is a leak too, that can then be addressed without needing to drain the system again.
Yup, I always do that with all my cars, to let the air bleed through. The Vipers have a unique multi-chamber thermostat housing with a multi position thermostat. The housing has various internal passages that direct or bypass the coolant to an outer perimeter metal tube system that returns it to the water pump if the temp isn't in the proper range - too cool or too hot. One of the heater hoses is connected to this bypass system and the other is connected to the housing. This is one of the reasons why it is so involved to bleed the air out.

That looks like an amazing tool. Wish I had shop air or an air compressor. I'm still working with 19th century hand tools. Maybe one day I'll get some 20th century tools now that it's the 21st century.

Last edited by njsteve; 11-25-2021 at 01:44 AM.