View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 02:47 PM

Thanked 1,657 Times in 486 Posts
Default Re: 1967 Camaro Pace Car

I have been researching a similar dash that I found on my 67 Yenko Camaro trim tag and 3 other documented 67 Yenko Camaros so am also researching a little on the dash on 67 Pace cars. I am not happy with the quantity of data to make any firm conclusions but here are some theories I am working on. Some Camaro researchers tell me my dash was for special paint but I know the original owner of my car who said it had the white stripe no different then other SS Camaros. Also I would think that a dash just for paint or stripe delete would be in the paint code field of the trim tag not in the area of the 4-5 code field. On the 67 pace cars there were some factory clear coat paint cars with a 0-1 paint code where other cars had a C-1 paint code. I think the dash in the 4-5-code field was for some type of COPO. This would not be a high performance COPO but one for a fleet or special order. I have found strange trim tags on police cars, military vehicles, red cross bloodmobiles and other cars that I believe were ordered COPO not RPO. One of the Camaro books reprinted some original Chevy documents on the 67 Indy 500 program where they list 79 vehicles (Camaros, 9-pass wagons, ¾ ton trucks, and ½ ton trucks) After the list is this sentence quoted from this document “ All vehicles with the exception of the brass hat cars have already been ordered out of Central Office for delivery as follows”. Does this mean a COPO was done on these dash cars? Maybe the dash in the 4-5 field of trim tag was some type of identification mark that told the assembly plant that there were some special instructions required for this car. A dash stamped vehicle could have had an information package that traveled with the car from time of trim tag stamping. When a dash car showed up, they knew the car had some type of special instructions required for delivery. I have some of the original files from Yenko’s Canonsburg office where I found documents where Don was requesting a COPO on the 67 Camaro but it is not clear what he was asking for. I don’t think it was for hi po equipment but more for a fleet order. There are a few reasons why I think Yenko may have been allowed to COPO vs RPO some of the 67 Camaros. Don was always looking for low price on the base car for his Supercars so a fleet order may have allowed a lower price same as a fleet order of taxi cabs or phone co. cars would allow special pricing. The fleet order would allow Don to order a large quantity of L78 Camaros. It was difficult to get an L78 Camaro in 67. There were only 1140 L78 Camaros built in 67 which would be less then 3 per dealer and Yenko batch ordered about 50 L78s. Yenko’s 1967 ads specified 4 colors which also indicated some type of batch order for some of his cars. All this is my opinion from my research on the 67 Yenkos but maybe this will help someone who is researching the 67 Pace cars with dash on trim tag.