View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 08:55 AM

Likewise, congrats Tim. Nervous excitement is warranted. I have only had this opportunity once and it was not the original owner, but instead, clearing up a clouded title after 35 years!
My advice is; take a moment to be in the proverbial shoes of the call-ee? Imagine you were getting ”that” call. This will help you formulate the diplomacy to start the conversation? While “we” are all giddy about the prospects of this breakthrough moment, the person you call may be less enthusiastic? And, in an era of identity theft, over intrusive government and marketers, incessant scams and telemarketer overreach, don’t be surprised if your call is met with hostility and skepticism? I would take time to formulate a diplomatic opening statement, so as to not be immediately dismissed and hung up on through a misunderstanding.

My own story was a Model A I bought online several years back. Amazingly, the owner from 1974 sold the car without signing the back of the title, so it could not be transferred. The ad for the car said it ran and had title and was only $1500! I had to make a hasty decision as I knew it would not last at that price. It was after I committed to purchase the seller went on to explain the title situation. I asked for the name and address of the person (a woman)on this title before making the trip to retrieve the now, seemingly poor decision and purchase. Upon hanging up the phone, I got online and did a person search. To my amazement, and delight, I had the last laugh, because not only did I find the lady on the title, she still lived at the same address as on the title from ‘74! A phone number was provided, as well. I got up the courage to make that call. Upon answering, I said,” Uh, I am so and so and I live in Ohio. I am not sure how to start this conversation, so I will just be direct, but I would like to know if you owned a Model A back in 1974?” I was met with a, “Why yes!” And the rest went so well. She offered to take care of the title for which I promised that I would pay all fees and compensate for any inconvenience of her time in the matter. I sent her flowers and a friendship flourished. She explained that a car dealer pestered her to sell them the car. When she finally agreed, the dealer told her not to worry about the title, they would take care of everything. Crazy? We exchanged Christmas cards that year. The next year, I got a Christmas card from just her hubby. He gave me the news of her passing that year. It was sobering to realize I came that close to not taking care of this title.
Tim, please, I did not intend to hijack your post. But the story was too good to not tell and, as the late Paul Harvey would say, “ And that, is the rest of the story...gooday.”

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation
The Following User Says Thank You to bbbentley For This Useful Post:
ZLP955 (11-27-2018)