View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 07:11 AM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts
Default Jim Weaver (169Indy's) 1968 RS/SS 396 Camaro!

BIG DOG

This 1968 Camaro was nick named the ‘Big Dog’ by many of my friends in the early eighties after I came to own it. My Camaro flame was ignited when I purchased my first Camaro in high school (1981). My future Brother in law owned a 1967 Camaro while dating my sister. The 67 Camaro was equipped with the vary basic 230 cu in 6 cyl engine, while the car was flashy with stripes and chrome wheels the power train belied its aggressive shell. I took a lot of ribbing for owning and caring for a 6 popper. The 67 provided an excellent First car for adjusting to the Camaro care learning curve. Like all stovebolt owners I thirsted for the sound and performance of a V8.

The ‘well’, for me was just up the block from my parents house. Dave Tarver had a RED Super Sport 396 1968 Camaro, as a bonus it was equipped with the hidden headlight Rally Sport package. I remember drooling over this Car when he had placed a for sale sign in the window 1981, (In my younger years I had delivered news papers to Dave’s house and had to walk past the car on the way to the mail slot, providing ample study opportunities). He had great difficulty finding buyers for this monster, so the car sat. I had heard later in 1983 that he was again listing the car for sale to pursue some lake property, I marshaled my funds and entered the V8 realm. The car was amazingly un-modified as purchased. The usual, air shocks, stubby dual exhaust, stereo speakers in the package tray and the only engine modification was a COORS can wrapped around the coil. The smog was intact and popping in the exhaust as they tend to operate. Basically all the original (born with) engine, transmission and rear end, parts that the car was manufactured with were found in place. A fair portion of documentation came with the car, interesting items included, old pink slips from new to present, registrations, various dealer paper work, 2nd owner pop. The car was sold new locally via South Tacoma Motor Co (CHEVROLET) in May of 1968.

As I became accustomed to driving the V-8 I noticed a stark contrast in fuel economy when compared to the 6 cyl 1967 car, the thirst for fuel could have been in part due to my right foot also. It was nice having choices for cruising the STONE (Bremerton). Which car to take often depended on the available gas cash! The newfound access to abundant torque with the pep-leg 3.08 12 bolt rear allowed for some nice smoke shows. Such was born the BIG DOG.

The restoration has been a prolonged and protracted process spanning years. Like many I have done the car in subassemblies or sections thru the course of time. I painted the car in (the orig R2 matador red w/ black roof) Acrylic lacquer in 1987 with the help of a friend Lyle. It was a great learning experience and taught me to respect talented painters. The engine was rebuilt to stock specifications in 1989 retaining all factory installed components. The 749 houndstooth interior was in such great shape very little was required to freshen it up. It was rumored that the car was shelved during both oil crisis’s of 73 and 79 by its 3rd (female) owner in Silverdale, Washington, thereby keeping the overall mileage to 76k when purchased.

I have managed to keep this car the intervening 24 years and enjoyed activities with the Pacific Northwest Camaro Club, occasional racing at Bremerton Raceway, cruising with friends and chasing parts needed or otherwise at swap meets.

The Cars original Washington TAG was BLP-777 and I have always considered myself lucky to owned and enjoyed this BIG DOG for so long. Thanks for allowing me to share this with you in the members rides.

Jim Weaver

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Xplantdad For This Useful Post:
1969L89Corvette (06-05-2023), 396 SS/RS (03-18-2024), 67since67 (10-18-2022), 69Z11Pacer396 (05-13-2023), big gear head (01-27-2023), dykstra (12-13-2021), L78M22Rag (12-11-2021), ScottG (12-16-2021), YenkoYS-199Stinger (06-17-2022)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry IMG_4577.jpg IMG_4155.jpg Green 68 5.jpg Green 68 4.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...