View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano View Post
Just to set the record straight: I was trying to be politically correct, which btw I'm not very good at. The difference between a std 442 and a W-30 is basically bolt on parts. I don't see how anyone can verify or certify a restored car, even if restored long ago, without appropriate documentation and owner history, to go along with the car.

I do not know the owners of either of these two Oldsmobiles, but do know some important aspects of their histories. The Burgundy Mist 442 was NOT a W-30 and was NOT a 4 speed car, when it left Lansing Michigan. I believe that is all which really needs to be stated for the record.

As far as the Blue '71. It was referred to me by Jude Hetick and was in very rough condition both body and frame. The Broadcast card , and the original trim tag, which the broad cast card is tied to, was removed and placed on another 1971 std 442 which was subsequently sold as a W-30. I have heard talk that the original tag is being reunited with the restored car bearing the correct VIN.

It is my opinion that members and enthusiast who have any desire to be involved with Oldsmobiles make note of the parties involved at all levels, with re stamping, fake tags, authenticating, restoring and selling these vehicles as IMHO, they will be back on the market some day.

I totally agree Stefano. As I said - The only W-30's that can be documented and authenticated are those that were produced in Canada, 1972 X VINs, or original cars with complete owner histories! At least that is how I see it in today’s collector car climate. Fraud or fake cars are a huge problem for any Chevrolet or Oldsmobile enthusiast.

I go way back with these cars long before they were so sought after. I have seen a lot of change over the years as the big money guys became involved looking to cash in. I now see many cars which started out as something completely different than what they are represented to be today. It is a big problem!

Here is an example of the fake documentation that I was speaking about. Pontiac and some Buick cars are the way to go if you want a real GM car.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/vin-number-...88.m1543.l2754

Last edited by HO455; 12-12-2017 at 11:53 PM.