View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 07:12 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default The First Nova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nickey Nova View Post
Did it have the L79 327 by any chance??

Yes. It was an original L79. I can't believe I left that out.

It had a cast iron intake with a Quadrajet. I am surprised on how quick it was. I can't remember for sure what gear it had. I'm thinking a 3:55 or 3:73 with a Muncie wide trans.
I do remember that it had no problems on the highway. Well at least till I started screwing with it . When I took it to the spring shop the guy asked me how high I wanted the car to sit. Now don't forget I was a squirrely young kid just starting out. I told him as high as possible. I wanted to put a big tire on it and I knew the Novas couldn't take much of a tire with the stock wheel well. 2 days later I go to pick the car up. Not high enough. Spring guy says they can't make it any higher with stock springs. OK. New springs. 1 day later he calls me. The car is too high! I can't get the driveshaft back in! Awww. Sounds perfect to me. Turns out a driveshaft from a 55 Chevy goes right in. Every abandoned 55, 56, and 57 Chevy lost a driveshaft that summer. Next I pull the stock motor and off to the machine shop. Cam, headers and some head work with an intake & carb. 4:56 gears were next. Right at that time the car was no longer fun to drive. I had a box of universals and caps in the trunk. The car would drop a universal or the driveshaft every time if I powered a gear. I got pretty good at changing universals on the shoulder. Easy install as I didn't need a jack! lol. We never figured out the problem and I sold the car. Obviously the pinion angle was off a mile after the new springs.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ZiggyL78 For This Useful Post:
1967Z28 (01-24-2022), 67BelAir427 (01-24-2022), Bill Pritchard (01-22-2022), mhurd (01-22-2022), PeteLeathersac (01-22-2022)