View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 06:34 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I don't know that I would pull the engine to put a timing set in a car. If the cam was bad that is a different case all together, however if nothing was currently wrong I would just pull the top end down and put a timing set while in the car. - you have to pull the radiator fan prior to pulling the engine anyway -
To keep it as close to original as possible...
Try to find a NOS gasket set so you can replace the intake gaskets with the 100% correct ones and do not use silicone...
I found a NOS set a few months back on ebay and only paid $75 for head set with steel shim head gaskets, correct cork valve cover gaskets and all the correct intake gaskets just in case I ever needed to do my original car.
FWIW If you are meticulous with your details and do all of this it will be difficult for someone looking at it to definitively state the engine has been apart.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos

Last edited by firstgenaddict; 07-21-2019 at 06:39 PM.