View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 01:32 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Tested out the chain and it had too much slack in it. The shaker still moved waaaay too far over under load. So I cut a link off the chain at the top and then spaced the engine lift bracket up a small bit with two hardened washers between the sway bar support bracket and the engine lift bracket. That gave me just enough slack that the chain was not tight when both ends were attached.

I also replaced the speedometer cable with a new reproduction cable. I had to go the OER brand route since it had the correct 1" size nut to attach it to the speedo housing on the tailshaft. All the generic replacement cables have a small ferule style cap that isn't even close to the correct size and the cables are at least a foot too long. So after an hour under the dash, I had the new cable routed properly. It actually has to go over the pedal support brackets and then to the side in order to engage at the proper angle with the speedometer. Not fun while hanging upside down.

But it was successful and the speedo needle no longer jumps as the car travels. It reads nice and smooth. I also pulled the internal cable out and greased the heck out of it before reinserting it into the cable housing and installing the whole thing.

Last edited by njsteve; 04-15-2021 at 10:11 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
427TJ (04-19-2021), CTBob (04-10-2021), RPOLS3 (04-12-2021), Xplantdad (04-10-2021)