View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 06:08 PM

Default Re: 69 Camaro BB blacked out panel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 68l30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO, I don't think those pics hold up very well, in either point of the discussion. While a great pic of the black and HO , I hardly believe the HO is a semi-gloss finish also. It has aged as much as the black and shows the same luster. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

BIG </div></div>
What about the ad pic and the fact that John was actually there? The pic of the HO on my car would have shown more of its glossiness if I had angled the camera in that direction. I was getting the best pic possible of the sheen of the black. I don't debate that a few might have been painted gloss for whatever reason, but I think a majority of what a few people are calling original gloss is just highly waxed and or buffed out satin from well taken care of/babied survivors.
Here's another good quote from someone that would know:

&quot;bertfam
View Profile
Personal Message (Offline)

Re: black on tailpan on ss cars

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 11:36:18 AM »
To add to what I just wrote above, I decided it was time to put this debate to rest, so I contacted Jim Mattison to get the straight poop on this subject. Here's what he had to say (submitted with his permission):

In 1968 through 1971, I was a member of the Fleet &amp; Special Order Department
(the collectors call it COPO) at Chevrolet Central Office, in Detroit. A part of
my daily duties was to approve or disapprove special paint requests, in addition
to handling the other COPO requests. I would innerface with the folks at Dupont
and at the assembly plants.

Your question is an interesting one that I've not been asked in many years.
Every year I would recieve a listing of paint specs for both passenger car and
trucks, to aid in the special paint process. As you know, all big block Camaros
had the upper rear tail panel painted black. A little known fact is that some
of the COPO 427 Camaros had this rear panel painted black also, although in
the restoration process, years later they were repainted body color.

Unfortunately, I no longer have my paint spec books and I sincerely doubt that
there are any other copies around. However, I remember vividly that this rear
panel on the big block Camaros was painted a &quot;Satin Black&quot;, not a gloss, nor a
flat black. I hope that this information is helpful

To add to this, we also discussed the lower rocker color on the Rally Sport cars and again, these are a &quot;Satin Black&quot; like the tail panel.

Ed&quot;

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66