View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv69s View Post

I assume it was a patriotic feeling from the war ? lots of soldiers also ordering cars or coming home in the next few years and buying cars also. Army/camo green??
Look around you with stuff from 1968/mid-1970s and you'll see Earthtones were in vogue.....greens, beiges, browns, yellows, and any variation of such. Visit a local estate sale and I bet the recently deceased 90 y-o didn't update his/her kitchen in 40+ years. Take a look at what it looks like and think back to our beloved cars because there's a symbiotic relationship.

The interesting part is our sensibility of colors and how colors have aged over time. Look at Azure Turquoise and it looks great today, but we know from observation that it was not a popular color for performance cars (can't speak for regular modes of transportation, but I bet it was middle-of-the-road at best).

And when it comes to green and other Earthtones? Lots of them haven't aged well to contemporary eyes. I think Fathom Green is alright, but there was plenty of other colors (some of the Mopar greens come to mind) that are simply gawdawful. Sometimes there's a color like Frost Green that is not to my liking (and is surprisingly uncommon for the COPO cars listed in the above registry), but when you see a fresh coat of that color you can see its strengths, although the choice of interior color plays a role on how tolerable it may be IMHO.