View Single Post
Old 10-27-2019, 03:14 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts
Default Deodorizing an original interior?

Many old original cars can have a typical odor to the interior. Some are your standard old car smell while others can be a bit more aromatic lets say? The car I just acquired has an odd odor to the interior, but not like anything I have smelled before? It's more stringent than the typical old car smell and that's part of the reason I pulled back the interior yesterday to inspect it.

There no evidence of any mice ever having been in the car and the odor is nothing that resembles any kind of rodent nesting. It's more unique and somewhat resembles the small of moth balls? Perhaps the original owner had something in there at one point to fend off rodents, but its left it's own scent behind. I have the seats out of the car now and they are beautiful originals as is the carpet and headliner. I'm wondering if there's an odor neutralizer that I can use to spray the seat bottoms and the carpet with before reinstalling them? Something to neutralize the odor or at least lessen it? Perhaps something I can also spray onto the headliner and belts since I'm sure it's permeated through the fabric. And please, not something scented in an attempt to simply mask it. I dislike the smell of most car fresheners and prefer the old car smell to some degree. Just not into moth balls if that's what it was?

Got any tips to deliver a clean smelling survivor interior?

Hoping to spray the burlap backing, headliner and carpets with something to neutralize them?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...