View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 01:06 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I worked at Harley in Parts & Accessories, Supply Chain, 2012-2015. Easily, the best working experience I had in 44 years.

The problems they are having have little to do with leadership and everything to do with the rapidly shrinking motorcycle customer pie. Had Matt not made the move into electric bikes, that would be touted as a reason for the decline. Previous leadership got them into 500 & 750 cc bikes built in India. Those haven't done much either.

They are smart and sophisticated at marketing their products; chased every market segment there was. Try as they might, the bulk of their customer base has remained aging baby boomers that could afford the product. That group is aging out, selling their bikes and moving on. When I was there, the #1 competitor for a new Harley was a gently used Harley. Supply has exceeded demand.

Next time you are at a car show, take a look around. Do not ask for whom the bell tolls.

William,

Suffice to say the proof is in the pudding. Take the IRONE for example.

Who in the world thinks this is a great sales hook for HD and a great way to spend R+D? Do you? Explain please. I am very interested.

The fact remains that the Bell has tolled - for Levatich.

Instead of competing for the motorcycle market that exists today He made recommendations to reinvent a portion of the business model that actually distanced HD from its core buying demographic and was justifiably fired because of those actions.
Attached Images