View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Pinewood Derby Anyone?

Wowww.. what memories... I was lucky that my Mom was den leader and my Dad was pack leader, so I had access to training sessions using the track !!! The pinewood derby cars were supposed to be a cub scout father/son project..in my case my Dad was a machinist, so he took the axles..(basically were similar to roofing nails) and the plastic wheels and he machined then perfectly round on a lathe. The other important factor is to place the axles square in the car. So my Pop scrapped the two small blocks of pine wood that the axles slide into and he machined new blocks out of a harder/denser wood so the axles would be and stay very square in the car. He aslo machined holes underneath and add weight in different areas for testing to see what worked best.

He also used a bridgeport and made the car look like a small indy car..with a wing and all. My part of the project was to help sand the car and help paint it Ferrari red !! We went to the pack meeting that year and I won first place by a mile. Then we were invited to another pack's meeting to challenge thier winner and I beat him also. That little car only lost one time ever and that is when my Dad made a new car the following year for my younger brother !!!

I believe the cars may still be around at my Pop's house. I remember them forvever being in his top dresser drawer. Ill have to ask and post a few pics if I can find them... Thanks for the memories !!!